Raw and lacto-fermented sauerkraut is a far cry from the soft, vinegary stuff in a can we ate as kids. Fermented sauerkraut has many health benefits:
• It is ripe with probiotic power – great way to rebuild healthy bacteria in our systems due to overuse of antibiotics.
• Is a good source of vitamin C – sauerkraut was packed for long sea voyages to ward off scurvy (caused by vitamin C deficiency)
• It has cancer -fighting properties, both as a cruciferous food and boosted further through fermentation which inhibits the growth of cancer cells.
You will have three options to choose from during this class:
Basic – basic sauerkraut with or without caraway seeds. Boosted – add a little kale or carrots along with a few spices.
Spicy – this is known as Curtido/Cortido, spicy, tangy and with some heat.
• Fresh, organic ingredients will be provided for hand-mixing your own sauerkraut.
• Each person will take home a quart of their finished product.
• All ingredients and detailed recipes included.
BONUS: Wide mouth quart mason jar (value $1)
Pickle Pipe fermentation cap (value $7)
Pickle Pebble fermentation weight (value $5)
DATE: Tuesday, February 4, 2020
TIME: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
PLACE: Heritage Prairie Farm, 2N308 Brundige Road, Elburn, IL
COST: $45 per person
TICKETS: Registration and information here